These waffles are super easy to make on a busy morning using a mini waffle maker and ingredients you can easily find in your cupboard and fridge. Store leftovers in the freezer and you have your own “Eggo” style waffles you can pop in the toaster later on!
Cinnamon lovers unite! Lazy waffles makers unite too! This recipe is for you. Making waffles is already pretty straightforward, but lets make it even easier and use boxed mix. The cinnamon and maple syrup adds just enough of a personal touch to be able to call these made from scratch, right?! I promise you that no one will be able to tell the difference.. and you cut back on the time spent measuring out flour, sugar, baking powder and milk.
This recipe also offers a lot of room for substitution! Feel free to swap out the egg with applesauce or ground flaxseed and use your favorite vegan pancake mix to create a vegan friendly alternative. Use a gluten free pancake mix to create gluten free waffles. Add brown sugar instead of maple syrup for a slightly sweeter and cakier waffle. Or use a whole wheat pancake mix, fresh fruit instead of maple syrup and “flax eggs” in place of eggs for a diabetic friendly option. I like using olive oil (in everything) but any vegetable oil, butter or coconut oil would also be an excellent option. Tweak the ingredients to fit your needs!
2 cups Buttermilk Pancake Mix
1 tablespoon Olive Oil (or oil of your choice)
1 Large Egg
2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
1 tablespoon of Maple Syrup
- Preheat your waffle maker
- Add into a medium bowl your pancake mix, olive oil, cinnamon, egg and maple syrup
- Whisk lightly and then slowly mix in just enough water until batter reaches a honey like consistency
- Whisk together until batter is well mixed and only small lumps remain
- Pour 1/4 of a cup of batter onto your preheated mini waffle maker (use 1/2 cup if using a larger waffle maker)
- Cook until steam subsides and waffle is cooked thoroughly, about 3-4 minutes each waffle
- Enjoy! Top with fresh fruit, powdered sugar, syrup, shaved almonds, etc