Breakfast potatoes are a staple around my house! My daughter asks me for them at least once a week, she has dubbed these her “special potatoes”.. but I think that would send a different message as a title. (lol) I happily oblige with whipping up her special potatoes every week.. because they pair perfectly with everything! Since we use ready-to-cook diced potatoes, from start to finish it only takes 10 minutes to prepare. You can’t beat a quick and delicious breakfast side as perfect as this.
My favorite frozen potatoes to use are the “Lamb Weston” hash brown dices, which are cut slightly larger in size than other brands, but you can use whatever diced frozen potato you have on hand. Freshly diced red or yellow potato also works wonderfully if you have the extra time (and effort) to wash and dice. If you use fresh potato be sure to adjust your cook time to ensure your potatoes are cooked thoroughly and to the crispiness you like.
Since I am usually ravenous in the morning I am aiming for the quickest way to cook my potatoes up so I use garlic and onion powder but if you’d like fresh onion and garlic is a delicious substitution. I also love to use fresh parsley sprinkled on top when I have it on hand instead of parsley flakes. If you need a low-sodium option.. leave out the salt, old bay and cajun seasoning.. instead use paprika, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, oregano and thyme. Now lets make some breakfast potatoes!
*Seasonings are an estimate, I usually give everything a good shake to season my potatoes, I recommend seasoning to your taste preferences*
- 1 pound (or half of a bag) Frozen Hash Brown Diced Potatoes
- 3 Tbsp Oil (of your choice, but I love to use olive oil to sauté my potatoes)
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp Old Bay
- 1/2 Tbsp Cajun Seasoning
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder (or 1/2 a clove of garlic)
- 1/4 Tsp Onion Powder (or 1/4 of an Onion)
- 1/2 Tbsp Parsley Flakes (or sprinkle of Fresh)
- Heat oil in a medium skillet or cast iron pan on medium/high heat (if using fresh garlic and onion, cook them alone in the pan a couple minutes now then proceed)
- Add in potatoes and season with everything except for the parsley
- Stir to coat potatoes evenly and cover
- Cook without stirring for 4 minutes then give it a good stir and cook an additional 4 minutes
- Uncover, stir and cook 2-4 more minutes until deep golden brown or desired crispiness
- Top with Parsley Flakes or Fresh Parsley and Serve!